Thursday, July 12, 2018

Stop, Drop, and Rejoice in Today



“Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!” Philippians 4:4

I woke up and remembered why I hadn’t set my alarm: school was canceled because forecasters predicted snow. Teachers and students all over town did their happy dance. Snow in South Louisiana!
Had it really snowed?

To steal a line: Away to the window I flew like a flash, tore open the shutter and threw up the sash. (Well, not exactly.  We don’t have shutters. But you get the picture.)

Fat, wet, flakes were tumbling from the sky. I put on my jacket and went outside.

At first, a sprinkling of snowflakes in delicate, crystalline clumps fell on my sleeves and melted.
Soon the clouds were dumping snow like powdered sugar on the lawn, rooftops, mailbox, and tree branches.

I watched in awe as my neighborhood morphed into a Christmas card scene. This kind of snowy vignette usually exists only in the imaginations of southerners like me. I was afraid that if I blinked, the lovely whitewashed world would disappear.

When was the last time you rejoiced in the day---stopped multitasking, dropped unnecessary distractions, and relished it?   When was the last time you savored the sights, sounds, smells, and sensations of the moment? When was the last time you cherished today, a limited-time offer that’s expiring soon?

It doesn’t snow here often.  But every day is filled with little miracles that I miss because I’m often too busy performing useless tasks or complaining about the necessary ones.

I don’t always appreciate the hugs and smiles of my little students or take the time to laugh at the funny things they say. Instead, I allow myself to be overwhelmed by the responsibility of educating them and controlling their chaos. I don’t always fully appreciate the extraordinary people in my life because I’m so distracted.

How many times do we plow through daily routines without acknowledging God’s presence or thanking Him for a warm bed, a comfortable home, or friends and family? How many times do we hurry through meals without tasting the food because we're checking emails or for the next day? 

But God wants us to rejoice!

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” II Thessalonians 5:16




It’s time to stop, drop, and rejoice in the moments that make up our days, because every day is wonder-filled.   Every day should be a snow day. Or a singing-in-the-rain day. Or a Son-day.  Or Christmas Day. Or a falling-in-love day. Or a new-birth day. An exotic day. A vacation day. A snuggle day. A day for celebration. A day for taking notice and taking time. A fresh-start day.  A day for delighting, because God’s compassions are new every morning.




No comments: